Irish Mommy

October 14, 2006

Dinner Parties


Tonight we were graciously invited to a dinner party with two other couples without children. I was so surprised when Kurt told me we could bring the children. We used to have people over all the time before kids and always had them bring their children. Not a big deal and we really enjoyed the entertainment it brought to the dinner table.


Now I realize what a disaster that can be... especially after tonight! The hostess offered me a Sam Adams and of course my eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. After one very small sip, Levi managed to scoot over to my beer and topple it over. Yes, all over the carpet. Not only did it soak into the carpet, but as I went to pick of the bottle to stop the spillage another huge burst of beer and foam came rushing out -- all over my shirt and Kurt. The entire room was in a uproar to get the mess cleaned up. Ok, big deal you say -- IT GETS BETTER!

As we are about 1/2 way through dinner Kurt smells the POOPY odor, first he smells Levi and then leans over to get a wiff of Mitchell. Oh man, it's Mitchell he says as he passes Levi over to me. As he picks up Mitchell I glanced over and saw the brownie goo all the way up his back! Don't worry because everyone sitting at the table saw it too! Everyone is squealing and laughing -- me MORTIFIED... As Kurt carries the stinky boy away from the table he nearly hits two of the other guests in the back of the head with the brownie goo. Funny you say, IT GETS BETTER!

The hostess apologizes that perhaps she made something that made him sick. She didn't understand that this is almost a everyday occurance at our house. I assured her that this is just a typical day at the Johnson household. I then asked the guest sitting next to Mitchell's chair to take a peak and let me know if there were any remains of the stinky goo. The look on his face was priceless as he said "Oh ya."

Please no fighting over who is going to clean it up -- I'm the mom, get out of the way. As I hand Levi over and try to clean it. Levi has a screaming, kicking fit and the other guest pleads with me to take him and she will finish the clean up... how much more EMBARRASSING can this get?

I just remember things finally settling down and everyone chuckling about the entire fiasco and all I could feel was the rush of blood to my face.

Kurt and I laughed the entire way home as we talked about never being invited over to their house again!
posted by IrishMommy at 9:07 PM

3 Comments:

Oh you can come here ANYTIME! You'd fit right in with our fiascos.

Whenever I'm at someone's house who doesn't have kids, I always get this sense that they're judging how horrible my kids are or annoyed that I can't finish much more than a sentence without having to deal with one of my kiddos.

10:50 PM  

Too funny...I bet it was a red faced moment for you, but when you have kids everyone understand those things happen and aren't in your control! Glad it didn't happen when I was babysitting on Fri night. It would have brought me back to a Bailey moment, ok not even close but had to throw that in there for a laugh. :)

12:17 PM  

I am rolling in laughter!! Literally, tears are ROLLING down my face! So, this is the hostess speaking and you all just have to know how much we LOVED having you over for dinner! You are welcome any time!! We might not have kids yet, but we love the boys and think they are adorable - with or without the poop!! Jon and I laughed for days about what a great time we had and the priceless look on Jake's face! Thank you for a wonderful evening!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home