Irish Mommy

October 02, 2006

Cheese with that Whine


Word of the day

Whine:
1) to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry: to make a sound similar to such a cry
2) to complain with or as if with a whine
3) to utter or express with or as if with a whine
whin·er noun

Well, I think most of you get what my blog is about today. Mitchell and Levi had a most excellent nap, which doesn't seem to come very often these days. After two and a half hours of complete Mommy bliss, Mitchell made it down the big stair case and into the kitchen before he decided that for the next 15 MINUTES he was going to run around the house smacking anything in his path, throw himself against the couch, bang his head on the table, hide in the office with the door closed and during all this hoopla he was the typical WENDALL the WHINER.

What is Mom to do?
I tried to calm him down... no luck
I tried to ignore him...no luck
I put out a snack and wa-wa (water)... no luck
I threatened to spank him... no luck
I counted to three... and he looked at his fingers and smiled!

You see we are practicing counting our fingers these days and he
thought I was counting my fingers, not getting ready for the punishment.

I'm amazed at how quickly one can bounce out of such a ugly mood with a simple 1.....2.....3......
Praise God for giving me the gift of patience today!
posted by IrishMommy at 6:21 PM

3 Comments:

Oh, both my boys drove me crazy with the initial learning of what it means when "I'm counting to three." After telling them to do something a few times, I would start with something like, "Go get your shoes. I'm couting to three. One...." Then Max would continue in a sing song voice..."two, three!" He would get so excited...and still not have his shoes. Cameron would continue counting when he was two. "four...five...six...seven, etc." And still no shoes. It drove me crazy and made me laugh. Eventually they figured it out. And for a long time, it amazed me the power of just counting to three, with no consequence even attached to it!

8:47 PM  

Oh, Max had quite the day, as well. Must be something in that music!

8:47 PM  

Auntie B/Sis-O,
Maybe I need to take a day off work and put Mitchell through Auntie boot camp and see if that works. :)

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home