Irish Mommy

October 08, 2006

Lesson Learned

This week I learned a very valuable lesson about myself. Never say "things can only get better" when your having a really bad day! Because things can get worse. It started with Levi being extremely fussy all day Wednesday. Whew, got throught the day... Then Thursday came and the morning seemed to be fine and then the afternoon was a totally different story. Now Mitchell had a runny nose and was VERY whiney and Levi was now wheezing on top of still being crabby. Kurt finally took Levi into Children's hospital late Thursday night because the wheezing was getting worse. They returned in two short hours after he got nebbed a couple of times.

Ok, Friday was the kicker... I had to get the boys dressed and out the door to drop off Levi's prescription at the pharmacy so he could start his meds. Then we flew home to get ready for our play date and back out the door to pick up the prescription. As I drove down the street I saw a shaggy grey dog running through the neighborhood. Wow, that dog looks just like BAILEY. How she got out is beyond me. But since this has been a 2x daily event at the house for the past week it should be of no surprise to me. We drove back down the block to drop Bailey off at the house and headed back to the pharmacy. As we were waiting at the drive-thru Mitchell sneezed so hard that when I looked back at him it looked like half his brain came out of his nose. His eyes were so watery that one seemed to be only half way open. Then I looked over at Levi and his nose was runny too!

What do I do now, I thought? I can't let my sickly boys hang around other children today. I dread missing my play dates because it gets me out of the house and socializing with other ADULTS. Today we were meeting at my favorite apple orchard. I tried calling both the other mom's at home, no answer. I didn't have their cell phone numbers with me, so I figured that I better drive all the way to the orchard to let them know. I didn't want them standing around waiting for us all morning! Both the moms understood and felt so bad for me and I just said "well, things can't get any worse than this."

It was the longest day of my life... two toddlers not feeling well and a heart broken mommy sitting at home ALL DAY LONG! Don't ask how I made it through the day -- but I ordered pizza to make things easier at dinner time and then it was bath time. Dad had to work very late, so I'm still solo! Five mintues into the bath and Levi screamed at the top of his lungs like bloody murder. I pull him out of the tub before Mitchell starts screaming too. As I am drying him off and look at his SCREAMING RED BUTTOCKS AND UPPER THIGHS... OH MY! Quick, get Mitchell out of the tub and in a diaper so I can call the clinic. After leaving a message and the nurse finally giving me some answers from the on-call doctor the rash seems to be going away. The doctor said it was probably just a reaction to the warm bath water because his body is trying to fight this virus. During this entire time on the phone I have two not so happy children!

Saturday, Kurt has to go into work again. Things get out of hand and mommy can't calm down the two screaming boys after daddy leaves. Mommy calls three people for back-up help! No one seems to be home. Hello, it beautiful outside and it's Saturday! Finally after two hours I get a hold of Daddy and he makes the very wise decision to come home STAT.

My Aunt came over this morning to watch the boys so we could go to church. Finally I feel at peace. The boys seem happy and with a little benadryl -- no more runny nose or itchy eyes. We have a doctors appointment on Monday to find out what to do next. I've never had allergies before, so I'm clueless! I hope that is what had been wrong this week and that Levi doesn't have asthma. I feel like in the last week I have aged 20+ years. How did my mother ever do it with four kids? I probably even look really crankie, just like Mitchell's favorite halloween character - FRANKIE...


posted by IrishMommy at 2:03 PM

2 Comments:

Oh Shawn! Poor you! I feel for you and totally get where you are!

But I'm sure you still look fabulous!

Prayers for the boys and you!

5:43 PM  

I'm sorry I was one of the calls on Saturday that you made for help and no answer...I would have came to help you out without a doubt!
I hope you find some answers at the doc today and can put the streak of sick/crabby/screaming boys behind you. You deserve a day at the spa!!!!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home