Irish Mommy
August 04, 2006
Self Talk
I figure today would be a great day to head to the park and explore. After packing a snack and getting the boys ready to go, we were off. I found a new play area and it was refreshing to be the only ones there. It was the most peaceful setting tucked away in the nature preserve with a beautiful picnic pavilion and tons of walking trails. All I could hear was the chirping of the birds and the toot toot of a train in the far distance. This was perfect and I thought to myself, we should come here everyday and walk. Well, on our very short walk Mitchell tripped and had a major meltdown and while I was trying to calm him down - Levi barfed up his entire snack all over his shirt. We finally made our way back to the car, Levi now shirtless.
The entire trip home (10 minutes) Levi screamed, and those of you that know Levi, know his screaming makes your toes curl. Mitchell had another meltdown when we got home because he wanted to stay outside and I needed to feed Levi before I put him down for a nap. I sent Mitchell to his room for whining while I made lunch. All of a sudden a voice in my head said "Thank you so much for that great trip to the park, you are the best Momma ever." Don't kid yourself, I was giving myself a pep talk because that is exactly what I needed to hear to make it through the rest of the day. Again, it made me laugh at myself! Me so funny... What would we do without that self talk?
The entire trip home (10 minutes) Levi screamed, and those of you that know Levi, know his screaming makes your toes curl. Mitchell had another meltdown when we got home because he wanted to stay outside and I needed to feed Levi before I put him down for a nap. I sent Mitchell to his room for whining while I made lunch. All of a sudden a voice in my head said "Thank you so much for that great trip to the park, you are the best Momma ever." Don't kid yourself, I was giving myself a pep talk because that is exactly what I needed to hear to make it through the rest of the day. Again, it made me laugh at myself! Me so funny... What would we do without that self talk?
posted by IrishMommy at 11:12 AM

2 Comments:
Thank you for being so 'real'. Being a mom is hard work (and reward too, right?!)!
First of all, good for you for trying to take your kids out on a nature walk. I need to at least try to do more things like that...even if the end result may not always turn out as you'd like.
And I do that "self-talk" stuff all the time. Except I do mine out loud, so my 5 year old can hear me as he's whining in the car about not getting his way or something. I'll just start saying, "Thanks mom for taking me to ___________________, even though you were really tired and it's hard to take 3 kids anywhere, and you had a lot of other things you should have been doing. You're the best."
Post a Comment
<< Home