Irish Mommy

July 26, 2006

Rationalization

In the last year I have discovered that I am highly motivated by rewards. In the business world it is usually recognition in a form of money and at home it's all about "TREATS" for mom. I rationalize constantly on how much I deserve the next treat. Changing another stinky diaper - oh, that deserves a double stuf oreo, dress the boys and make breakfast - deserves lots of coffee, making it through the day -- deserves a cold one and some chips/salsa. I was curious about what Webster's dictionary said about the word rationalization and here is what I found out:

1 : to bring into accord with reason or cause something to seem reasonable: as a : to substitute a natural for a supernatural explanation of b : to attribute (one's actions) to rational and creditable motives without analysis of true and especially unconscious motives broadly : to create an excuse or more attractive explanation!
All I can say about the defination is - whatever it takes to get through the day! Does anyone else do this?
posted by IrishMommy at 12:20 PM

5 Comments:

I use the wine every night. I never thought about rationalizing it, but now I feel entitled!! Thanks Shawn!

7:52 PM  

Sister, do you think we got this from our mother who rewarded herself with beer, chips and salsa, and sometimes new clothes? I'm glad you are the more rational one on the oreos and coffee...mine use to be shopping but that has come to a hault. Now, I'm trying to be like you and just go for the simple things like treats or adult beverages to reward me for working hard or accomplishing something in my day.
It's those simple pleasures/indulgences that make life even more enjoyable- you can't deny yourself of your favorite things or you would binge and go crazy..at least that's how I look at it! :)

9:30 AM  

My day today: "If I can just sort these stupid socks for 15 minutes...Who has this many socks?...Okay, 10 minutes more...Why are there eleven pink socks and none of them match? grrrrr.....7 minutes left. sigh....Thirteen white socks, ALL with different frilly tops?! What was I thinking?...Only two more minutes! Woo-hoo!...There. The rest for another day."

Then we all went to the library and came home to read for an hour. Result: An hour and a half of indulgence to make up for 15 minutes of pure PAIN!!

Oh, and a stinky diaper equals TWO oreos!

9:45 PM  

Does it count if I say my reward for finshing my Miller Lite is one more Miller lite?

12:43 PM  

Are you rewarding yourself on Sunday? Can I be your taxi driver this time?

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home