Irish Mommy
January 19, 2007
Compare and Contrast
For some odd reason I have been contemplating the differences between corporate and stay-at-home life. Maybe it's because someone asked me the other day if I missed working, and another one of my mom friends is perhaps leaving her job to stay home with her two little boys. As I cleaned the house today with the boys running, screaming, hitting, falling, crying, laughing and just being themselves -- I came up with so many similarities between the two crazy worlds.
CL: (Corporate Life) Two of my co-workers bickering over how to educate a new manager on the new salary plan.
MW: (Mommy World) Mitchell and Levi screaming and hitting eachother, for no reason at all.
CL: The nauseous feeling in my stomach when my VP or Directors' name appeared on my spy phone. What demands are coming my way?
MW: The exact same feeling when I see poop or vomit on the carpet.
CL: Managers/Directors calling multiple times a day to check the status of their groups performance appraisals.
MW. Mitchell and Levi constantly whining throughout the day.
CL: Being asked to re-run some stats for a presentation -- after spending one entire day working on getting the data accurate the first time I ran it.
MW: Washing your childs' bed sheets and as soon as you put the fresh ones on the bed, OOPS, where did that barf come from?
CL: Sitting in your cubicle slowing slurping your hot coffee and day dreaming.
MW: Oh, I guess that is the one thing I miss about work!
It's been nearly two years ago that I was agonizing about the decision to finally step down from my job of "ADMINISTRIVIA," and all I can say is that it has been the best decision I have ever made. Watching every milestone and having play dates with other moms & kids is so much fun. Yes, being able to stay in my pajamas all day is a bonus too!
CL: (Corporate Life) Two of my co-workers bickering over how to educate a new manager on the new salary plan.
MW: (Mommy World) Mitchell and Levi screaming and hitting eachother, for no reason at all.
CL: The nauseous feeling in my stomach when my VP or Directors' name appeared on my spy phone. What demands are coming my way?
MW: The exact same feeling when I see poop or vomit on the carpet.
CL: Managers/Directors calling multiple times a day to check the status of their groups performance appraisals.
MW. Mitchell and Levi constantly whining throughout the day.
CL: Being asked to re-run some stats for a presentation -- after spending one entire day working on getting the data accurate the first time I ran it.
MW: Washing your childs' bed sheets and as soon as you put the fresh ones on the bed, OOPS, where did that barf come from?
CL: Sitting in your cubicle slowing slurping your hot coffee and day dreaming.
MW: Oh, I guess that is the one thing I miss about work!
It's been nearly two years ago that I was agonizing about the decision to finally step down from my job of "ADMINISTRIVIA," and all I can say is that it has been the best decision I have ever made. Watching every milestone and having play dates with other moms & kids is so much fun. Yes, being able to stay in my pajamas all day is a bonus too!
posted by IrishMommy at 1:11 PM

1 Comments:
Very good insight! I'm sharing this w/ all of my co-workers w/ kids so they can see both sides.
If it helps to add to your thoughts, I do get jealous when you call me from the car on days when you guys are on your way to fun play dates! Each and every time I am in the same position when you call- staring at my computer and probably cursing at my work. :) I know how much work it is to stay at home, and it takes a special lady to do that!!! In the meantime, I am rotting in my cube! :)But I do work at Mitchell's favorite- TARGET, so to hear him say that brings a smile to my face each day.
Post a Comment
<< Home